Dottie Bishop was a longtime employee of Child Start and before retiring she worked in the areas of special education and early literacy. Ms. Bishop passed away in 2013 and her family started a memorial as a tribute to Dottie’s lifelong service.
With the memorial funds, Child Start established one scholarship in honor of Dottie and fundraises every year to provide a second scholarship to assist college-bound high school seniors, who attended a Head Start program as a child, move forward with their goals for the future.
- Application deadline is March 15, 2022.
- Student should complete the online application form below, or HERE.
- Application package includes an essay that addresses the following:
- Key details about you, your family and your connection to Head Start.
- Your goals for the future, post-secondary education and what you plan to study.
- Essay should be a maximum of 1,000 words.
- Student must submit two letters of recommendation from teachers or counselors.
- A copy of the student’s transcript must be included in application packet.
- The applicant must have attended a Head Start/Early Head Start program for one or more years.
- The applicant must be a senior who is scheduled to graduate from high school in Wichita, El Dorado or Augusta, Kansas, be pursuing a post-secondary education (including trade school), and submit proof of acceptance from an institution of higher learning.
- Children of current Child Start employees or board members are not eligible.
- Application packets must be received by March 15, 2022.
- Award of scholarships will be determined by April 15, 2022.
- For questions regarding the application please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two Scholarships will be awarded, one of which will be in honor of Dottie Bishop.