Head Start 0-5 Program
Head Start is a FREE early education program that helps children grow educationally, socially, physically, and emotionally.
Children attend a Head Start center, Monday-Thursday 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. During this time they are involved in learning activities in a classroom environment. Early Head Start classrooms serve children ages 0-3 years old. Head Start classrooms serve children ages 3-5 years old. View Head Start locations here.
Families enrolled in center-based services will receive multiple home visits each year. Two home visits with their teacher, and three with a Family Advocate to help set goals, identify any needs the family may have, and supply resources as needed.
Designed for exclusive one-on-one interaction with a Family Educator. Visits are once a week and scheduled at the family’s convenience. Available to families with children ages 0-3 years.
Expectant Mothers – In addition to home-based services with a Family Educator, receive prenatal care and bi-weekly visits from a registered nurse.
How does the application process work?
1. Complete the application online or by phone. FOR ONLINE APPLICATIONS: Please allow 3-7 business days for Head Start to contact you.
2. Head Start staff will contact you to discuss income eligibility for the program.
3. If eligible, Head Start will schedule an appointment with you to come in and complete the necessary paperwork.
4. Children will be placed on the waitlist and will be contacted as soon as there is an opening. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that every child on the waiting list will be served and timeframes are unavailable.
What documentation do I need when applying?
Please have the following documentation ready:
• 1040 Tax Document, W2’s or paycheck stubs
• Child Support Orders (if applicable)
• SSI or TANF Statements (if applicable)
• Proof of no income (if applicable)
What other documents will I need?
• Parents need to provide a birth certificate or proof of birth. Acceptable forms of proof of birth include a Birth Certificate or Birth Confirmation letter.
• Child immunization records from the doctor’s office